Spring will be here before you know it. So that means your Baltimore area yard needs someone to clean it up.
If you’re a busy family trucking your kids to various afterschool activities, or you don’t like yard work, then you need a professional lawn service to do it for you. Your local lawn service has the equipment and expertise to tidy your spring lawn and gardens.
10 Spring Clean Up Chores Your MD Lawn Service Will Do for You
Every spring, after the snow melts and your backyard comes alive, you need to spruce it up because of storm damage, leftover leaves, and overgrown trees and shrubs.
You’ll feel refreshed and relaxed to come home when your lawn and landscape beds are looking their best. Here are those 10 main chores your lawn care company will do for you:
- Cleaning up yard debris: Winter storms blow around leaves, trash and tree limbs. Before any other job can be done, your lawn service crew will pick up tree limbs and trash so they can move onto the next chore.
- Rake up leftover leaves and excess thatch: Next, your yard crews will rake your lawn to remove leftover leaves, excess thatch and improve air circulation in your lawn.
- Test your soil: Before any soil improvements can be made, your lawn care technician will test your soil. If it’s too acidic, your technician will apply lime to convert the ground to a “sweeter” state. Turfgrass grows best in slightly acidic soil (pH 6.0 – 6.5), but turf won’t thrive or survive in soil that’s too acidic.
- Aerate your lawn to relieve soil compaction: Lawn mowers, kids and pets playing on the yard or any skiing or snowmobiling over the winter causes soil compaction. And yet, soil compaction doesn’t favor healthy lawn grass growth.
Your lawn service crew will use an aerator that has tines pulling up plugs of soil. Don’t worry; these soil plugs will dissolve the next time it rains. They also add some extra nutrition to the soil.
Aeration opens up the soil to breathe out carbon dioxide, breathe in oxygen and allow water and sun to penetrate the soil.
- Apply seed to bare spots: Your lawn goes through a lot of wear and tear throughout the winter from harsh weather conditions as well as other reasons listed in #4. So, you may notice some bare spots after the snow melts. Your lawn care crew will apply grass seed and top dressing to those bare spots.
- Mow your lawn for the first time: Part of spring clean-up includes the first mow of the season. Your lawn service only takes the top third off the grass blades so your lawn can grow thick and dense turfgrass—leaving no room for weeds to sneak into your yard.
- Add pre-emergent weed control: When the forsythia bush blooms, you know it’s time to apply pre-emergent weed control to your property. Pre-emergent weed control forms a barrier in the soil to prevent pesky crabgrass from germinating and popping up in your yard.
- Fertilize your lawn if it wasn’t done in the fall: Your lawn grass needs nutrition to grow green and thick. If you opted to skip fall fertilization, you need a spring fertilization treatment to kick-start your lawn for springtime green.
- Prune your shrubs: Your shrubs take a beating over the winter months. Your MD yard service will trim away dead or diseased branches, cut any branches growing the wrong way, trim shrub suckers at the base of your bushes and restore your woody plants to their natural shape. Proper pruning means that your lawn service selectively removes branches so air and light can circulate throughout them throughout the entire season.
- Make everything tidy so you can enjoy your property: When it’s warm enough for you to eat outside or to have a party in your backyard, you’ll be proud of how your property looks after hiring a professional lawn service to clean it up for you.
How Ground Control Lawn Care Beautifies Your Property this Spring
At Ground Control Lawn Care, our crews will visit your property and clean it up, so you can enjoy spring evenings and weekends in your backyard.
Don’t worry about how your lawn looks because Ground Control will do those spring jobs you don’t have time to do.
If you want to schedule your spring lawn clean-up, call us today at (443) 520-5646 or fill out our free estimate form.
Ground Control Lawn Care serves these Baltimore County, Maryland cities: Bowleys Quarters, Cockeysville, Dundalk, Edgemere, Essex, Middle River, Nottingham, Parkville, Perry Hall, Pikesville, Rosedale, Towson, and White Marsh.